Sunday, February 2, 2014

Tasting: Maipe Torrontes


Name:  Maipe Torrontes
Variety:  100% Torrontes
Region:  Mendoza
Country:  Argentina
Year:  2013
Price:  $7.95

Shop Review:  "Spring-like nose of fresh white peaches, pears, green apple, green melon and hints of jasmine and rose petals. On the palate, it has a beautiful structure and acidity along with fruit flavors and plenty of body.  Well balanced, this wine displays a pleasant freshness with citrus notes and a long finish. Best enjoyed in its youth either by itself, or as a wonderful partner with smoked meats, mild to medium-strong cheeses, seafood and a great partner for spicy food as well."

My Review:  This white wine was a little heavy for my taste.  I got a strong taste of apricot, but not in a very sweet way.  The wine was acidic and bitter, not light and refreshing like I imagined a white wine would be.  I did not drink this wine with food, but I think it would have paired well with something fatty or rich that could be cut with the acidity of the wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment